Skype is an IP telephony service provider that offers free calling between subscribers and low-cost calling to people who don’t use the service. In addition to standard telephone calls, Skype enables file transfers, texting, video chat and videoconferencing. The service is available for desktop computers, notebook and tablet computers and other mobile devices, including mobile phones. A number of companies, including Skype, produce dedicated Skype phones.
Skype is a free to download Internet-based communication service, and using Skype just got even easier. Here we explain what is Skype and break down how to use Skype and how to download it on to your computer.
Skype was founded in 2003 by Janus Friis from Denmark and Niklas Zennströmfrom Sweden. The Skype software was created by Estonians Ahti Heinla, Priit Kasesalu, and Jaan Tallinn The first public beta version was released on 29 August 2003.
How do you use the Skype app
To edit your video call settings:
- Sign in to Skype.
- Tap your profile picture in the right corner of the screen.
- Press the phone’s menu button or tap the menu icon .
- Select Setting.
- Scroll down to the Voice and video calls section.
How to use skype:Get started in seconds
Below we outline how to download Skype to your PC, sign up for a Skype account and get started adding contacts and making calls. But Skype just made life so much easier for newbies, and if you don’t want to you don’t even need to sign up for a Skype account.
- Visitcom/en in a browser
- Tap Start a Conversation
- Enter your name
- Tap the Start a Conversation button
- Copy the URL and share it with a friend to begin chatting over Skype. The link is valid for 24 hours
Advantages of Skype
- Skypeis useful in business , It allows the people to work from the home , it has many helpful features including group video calling that saves a lot of travel time and money for the companies , businesses can communicate with co-workers , and it helps the companies communicate in group conferences from different places .
- Skype technologymakes it much easier for the family and the friends to reconnect , the customers and businesses to hold the meetings and the conferences , and it saves an enormous amount of money and time .
- Video conferencehelp to exchange the data in the real time so the presentations can reach multiple people in multiple locations , it can allow them for quicker deliberation , collaboration and decision making.
- Skype technologyis a free communication with app that can be downloaded onto iPhones and Android phones , the basic version is free , so businesses can use this program to save money .
- The smartphonesand tablets are used in business and personal communication , and Skype offers free mobile and tablet apps that allow you and your contacts to use the service while on the go .
- You have the ability to accessSkype and communicate with your contacts via the platform from whatever device is closest that makes it a handy communications solution for individuals and businesses .
- Skypeis a program that allows you to talk to anyone else connected to Skype for free via your computer or from your computer to a telephone anywhere in the world , and it a safe method , and you can safe a lot of money on calls .
Disadvantages of Skype
- There are risk of the technicalissues of skype , as when there are dropped connections , the camera malfunctions and choppy video streams , it will quickly make a video conference frustrating or useless .
- There is loss of interpersonal connections as you can see everyone on the chat , and the government could potentially enable this program withwiretapping capabilities, The sound quality of using Skype may not be good , and you have to pay for some services on the Skype .
- Skypetechnology can be another tool used for cyber bullying , it was discovered that hackers have taken full advantage of a legally mandated wiretap function to spy on top officials phones , and the wiretapping capabilities can cause the security breeches .
- Skype technologyrequires Wi-Fi or 3G service to run , the international calls cost money , and there are also cost factors to consider as everyone needs the proper equipment to participate on the call which could present financial challenges.
In conclusion, skype has changed the way people communicate throughout the world in schools, businesses and in society. Person to person communication is not always the norm in the ever changing technological society.